Saturday, December 3, 2011

How to make a Lightbox!

Recently I decided it was time to make my own light-box so I could take blog photos when it was dark or the sun wasn't shining. I thought some of you might be interested in how I did it so I thought I would show you and give you a run down of how I made it.

What you need;

A Large Box
Scissors/Stanley Knife
A White Sheet or some white material, you could use white XL men's t-shirts. I used cheap pillow cases I bought from K-mart.
2x Large bits of white card
Some Tape and some PVA glue
A Stretchy Lamp with a globe

First you need to cut the front of the box completely out. Then you need to draw a 1 to 2 inch border all the way around either sides of the box as well as the top of the box. Cut along the lines you have drawn so you have two large windows in either side and on top. Next cut strips of white card, the same width as your border, and glue these along the insides so the cardboard isn't visible. Once that's done cut your white fabric to size and tape these so they are covering each of the windows, making sure its pulled taut. Lastly cut your other piece of white card to size so it's curved inside and glue the edge to the bottom and the opposite edge to the top far side of the box.

If you can follow those crappy instructions you should end up with something like this;




***Metallic tape provided by my lovely boyfriend Blake!

Then place the lamp so its shining over the top of the box and place your product inside and snap away!!




And heres a couple of product photos....





I hope you bloggers found this helpful and that you give it a go. I'm still working on getting really great photos but I am still only using a small point and shoot camera. For those of you totally disinterested in this post I'm sorry I will continue with the beauty related ones soon!! 

Hope you all are having a great weekend! 


Hannah xoxo

6 comments:

Makeup and Mutts said...

That's awesome! :) I need to make one.

Tara said...

I am going to get my partner to make this for me!
I am not good ar these sorts of things.
Great post Hannah, so useful xx

Aseya said...

Oh great post! I've seen articles about this, so it's nice to see one that has been made, it makes it a little easier to understand:)

Hannah said...

@Vintage You definitely should, it's so simple but makes your photos look great and is really useful when you cant take photos in natural light.

@Tara haha I was originally going to get Blake to make me one seeing as he is a tradie and I thought he could make it out of wood or something but the cardboard is a lot better when you are moving it around.

@Prettyinthedesert Thanks!! I really should have taken photos while I was making it but it didn't occur to me so I hope I explained it alright and you can sorta see what I mean from the pics.

Haute_Style said...

Yeah so I'm totally stealing this idea. You're a genius!

Hannah said...

Dunno if I deserve all that credit Anni but i'll take it! haha you're welcome to steal it!!